Friday, December 29, 2006
Dosvidaniya! 2006 Privyet! 2007
Well, between the Holidays, no school and planning a trip to Disney in two weeks, my blogging as been on the back burner. The last few days, as I have been trying to find a home for all the Santa booty, I have thought about this past year. 2006 held many firsts and many AH HA moments for me.
2006 was the year my youngest began school full time in kindergarten. It was exciting for her and a bit sad for me. Mind you, I have no baby envy or yearning for the younger years of my children or for more children. It is just that the time has gone by so fast, just as I have always heard that it would. I feel as if I can remember every day and minute since she and my son entered our lives. Since I would be hard pressed to tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, it amazes me that all the days of the months of the years of their lives still sits front and center in my mind.
2006 was the year I marched closer to 50 than 40. While so many seem to fight that progression or float down the river of Denial, I am actually loving this time in my life. I like who I am and where I am. I can accept what about me is average and normal while at the same time dance to my own beat, be different, be confident about myself , my opinions and how I am doing as a Mother and a wife. I can still sing all the lyrics from the songs of the 70's and 80's while at the same time sing along with James Blunt and 5 For Fighting. I can like CMT better than MTV and still prefer a good book over a great DVD. And I am very open about my love affair with my minivan or as I like to call it, my FUV (Family Utility Vehicle).
I accepted that no matter how much I diet or don't, exercise or not-I stay a solid size 10 and have not wavered from that in the last well, 10 years. I like to cook and I like to eat. My blood pressure medicine is a daily reminder that I need to put forth some effort in the name of health. Funny, once I decided that I would regularly go to the Y and exercise, not for a smaller waist or firmer thighs but for a stronger heart and less obstructed arterial system and to avoid a hip fracture in 20 years, I am much more diligent about going. And because I am not judging my progress by my advancement toward Skinny jeans but by the numbers on my blood pressure machine and my labs every 6 months,I feel very good about how I am doing and that is a much more motivating than string cheese, a rice cake and a bowl of lettuce. Besides, when necessary, squirming into a pair of Spanx is an instant 10 lbs. weight loss. Besides , my body has gotten me a lot of great places in life, keeps up with two very active children, stayed married for 25 years, done everything I have ever asked of it,kept breakdowns and tune ups to a minimum and is good for many more miles. What's not to be Proud of.
2006 was a good year. My daughter learned to read and she is writing in her journal and diary everyday. Still not sure what a 5 year old could possibly have so much to write about but she goes nowhere without her notebook and a pencil .Sometimes annoying and can perch on that last nerve . Which leads to one of my resolutions for 2007, more patience with her endless ENDLESS questions and HOW DO YOU SPELL...She has become a sponge for knowledge and I know my duty is to keep it soaked. My son has progressed very nicely and I am so proud of him. Everyday he does something to amaze and amuse me. He is such a joy and makes waking up each day an adventure. Today he said several 10 and 12 word sentences, which is grand way to end and begin a new year.He is also becoming a one man band after having received a trumpet, saxophone and clarinet for Christmas to go along with his many drums and keyboard. I am hoping for a Phil Collins and not a Tommy Lee.
We also started taking them camping this year. Tent camping. Just as I did as a child growing up.
I never imagined how wonderful this new activity would be for our family and for our children.
It's a lot of work, a lot of planning and has given us so much more in return. Time away from phones and TV and distractions. I hope that they remember these camping trips the same as I remember the ones from my childhood. The carrying on of traditions is one of the infinite rewards of parenting that I hope every parent does. Creating new traditions and passing down old ones. The definition of family to me.
This year has been a rough one in the Russian adoption arena.I so pray that this next year brings some calm in the process and many children finding homes. I hope that the families thinking about Russian adoption and those that may have been scared away come back and hear the words of encouragement from those of us that keep chanting for you to stay the course, it will all be so worth it.You might think it odd that I am still so involved in following the journey's of others to their children in Russia because my own adoptions are so far in the past. I believe having been through adoption twice, two very different adoptions of two very different children,that I can relate to so many who are on their own journey's now or contemplating it. I feel compelled to share our story, commiserate and encourage others and hope that I can share in their delight and magic of bringing a child home forever. This year I have had the privilege to share in the emotional, heartbreaking and rewarding journey of a couple who live hundreds of miles north of me, whom I have never seen or spoke to other than through the Internet, yet I have felt every tear, frustration, moments of despair they have been through as well as the elation, joy and magic of them meeting their new daughter. I have thought about them daily for months and shed my own tears when they so graciously sent pics to my email address from Moscow of their precious little "Cupcake". What they do not know is how their sharing of this most private and personal time in their life as opened up a line of communication with my own daughter about our adoption of her. By relating to her what they have gone through in their quest for their princess, my daughter now has a unique understanding about our journey to her and she is so excited about another little Russian angel finding her own Mommy and Daddy. No story book or esoteric conversation we might have had would equal or have the impact that sharing in the journey of another little girl waiting in Russia in real time has done for her.
So to them, I thank you. While it may have seemed that I was Paying it Forward in sharing my experiences, you are doing the same for my daughter.
Godspeed for your return to bring her home.
I feel the same about sharing my son's differently abled life with others. Parent's I will never know who share their lives of raising a child with PDD have helped me immensely. I have learned and embraced this year ,the concept of sharing and being open about your life, your struggles and times when you are at an emotional cliff, if you reach out and just talk there is always someone out there who can lift your spirits, recharge your determination and remind you of all the wonderfulness in your life and in your child. And when you hear that you have helped or inspired others it spurs you on to be better and go that extra mile each day. My son continues to be a huge inspiration. His imagination, his laughter and happy spirit, his love of the outdoors and any sport that involves a ball. He never ceases to amaze me in that he has always reached every goal we have set before him. As much as I am his teacher in life, he teaches me more everyday about the spirit and the potential in all of us and other lessons too numerous to count.And when the sun sets each day he is really just a regular 7 year old boy with dirty hands and scruffy knees who wants French Fries and ketchup and to play in the tub until the water gets cold.He tells me I love you Mommy and Good Night,Don't Let the Bed bugs bite.
And my daughter writes in her journal everyday "Today was the best day of my entire life" because every day is the best and that she loves me the Mostest and more than M & M's.
What are my New Year's Resolutions for 2007.
Not that many actually.
To be more patient at times,to say Yes, more and No, less.
To live in the moment, be fully present in the Now and not think so much about Tomorrow
To Exercise more, not necessarily eat less....
To Laugh loud and long and often
To schedule one on one outings with each of my children more often.
To Thank God each and Every day for everything in my life, the great and the good,the bad and the ugly.
Most all is great and good, a bad every now and then and ugly rarely rears it's head.
To look into my children's faces and marvel at the magic and miracle that brought these two children from thousands of miles away to be my son and my daughter and how perfectly we all fit together.
The Freeman Family of Four
Look out 2007
Here We Come


2 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Brave woman!
As for PDD or any other spectrum disorders, I'm confident that you will find stacks of people in a similar position and happy to give you all the help and support you need or want.
Best wishes

Blogger Lauren & Cupcake said...

Maybe it is almost that time of the month, maybe I am TOO sensitive as I am having a difficult time without Cupcake but as usual tears are streaming as I read your deep and personal thoughts. Your guidance and honesty are so true. Mos tof all so is your friendship!

Post a Comment

<< Home